External open innovation partner program
With our crowd-sourcing initiative PartnerYourAntibodies® we are looking for novel antibodies addressing a specific target or pathway in a selective manner (functional activity) relating particularly to the fields of:
- Cardiology (including kidney diseases)
- Lung diseases
- Oncology (main focus on first in class approaches in Oncogenic Signaling, Targeted alpha-particle therapy & antibody drug conjugates, Immune-Oncology)
Successful applications will be assessed by us with regard to bioactivity.
If confirmed, we might initiate a joint antibody-exploration project with you, in which case you would receive substantial financial funding from Bayer to compensate for your research expenses. Such collaboration would then be subject to the negotiation of a contract reflecting the interests of all parties involved.
Bayer is an experienced partner with a long tradition of successful and reliable global partnerships. If your antibody is selected for collaboration, you may in some cases be given an opportunity to use innovative technologies, complementary expertise and resources.
The submission is non-confidential and should include (if available) information on the antibody properties, including such biological data as:
- Used Library or host
- Amount available and Concentration
- Target, Pathway or Specificity (NO details on epitope)
- Assay used to test biological activity
- Affinity to target or ED50 in FACS analysis
For intellectual property reasons, please do NOT reveal the amino acid sequence, even if the sequence has already been published. Further, please do NOT provide the binding epitope.
After submitting your proposal, you will receive a confirmation email containing a registration number, for use in all further communication.
The current submission period is open until June 30th 2017.
Senior scientists at Bayer will review your submission and will come back to you with a decision in Sept. 2017 the latest. The outcome of our assessment is entirely at our discretion without any obligation to justify it or to give reasons. In evaluating your decision, we will consider the following:
- Antibody descriptors: At the non-confidential level we will determine our interest in your asset based on molecular descriptors without sequence information. Descriptors – such as species, origin, used library or host, clonality, amount available and concentration, cross-reactivity, target etc. – help us gauge the antibody’s suitability or liability in terms of drug-like properties. When reviewing your submission we do not use drug-like properties as strict cut-off criteria, but see them as risk alerts that must be taken into account in future optimization strategy.
- Biological activities: The target addressed by the antibody and the antibodies potency against this target is a very important piece of information. Our primary interest lies with antibodies addressing targets or pathways in the fields of oncology, cardiology (including kidney diseases), lung diseases, hematology and gynecological therapies.
If our assessment of your submission is positive, we want to find out more about your antibody or derivative and will contact you to determine the next steps. We might already provide you a reasonable monetary compensation for your effort at this stage.
If we are convinced by the data generated we would be interested in partnering with you to leverage the potential of the antibody by means of broader in vitro and in vivo characterization.
WHAT IS ANTIBODY-EXPLORATION?
Antibody-exploration is the process that corroborates the antibody's suitability by assessing its physico-chemical properties and pharmacological activities both in vitro and in vivo.
CAN I SUBMIT ANTIBODY DERIVATIVES?
Beside antibodies, submission of derivatives such as Fab, scFv, minibody or similar is possible.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Researchers from universities, other academic research institutes, or start-up and biotech companies from all over the world are invited to apply.
WILL THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BE CONSIDERED CONFIDENTIAL?
No, the information provided will not be considered confidential. We will use the information provided in the submission form for an initial evaluation. Before asking for confidential data we will agree a Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA) with you.
WHO WILL REVIEW THE PROPOSALS?
The proposals will be reviewed by experienced scientists at Bayer HealthCare
CAN I SUBMIT A PROPOSAL ON BEHALF OF A GROUP?
Yes, you can submit a proposal on behalf of a group. However, please name your collaborators/coworkers in the respective field. When concluding a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) or a Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA) you should be aware of the ownership of your antibody; signatures of representatives of your institution/organization might be needed during the assessment period.
CAN I SUBMIT POLYCLONAL ANTIBODIES AS WELL?
We are primarily interested in monoclonal antibodies.
Bayer is an innovation company with a more than 150-year history and core competencies in the fields of health care and agriculture. We develop new molecules for use in innovative products and solutions to improve the health of humans, animals and plants.
The company’s Pharmaceuticals Division invests considerable resources in the research and development of new drugs, with the aim of improving patients' quality of life and prolonging lives.
Biowebspin is the #1 academia-industry partnering network in Life Sciences.
For academics, Biowebspin is the platform to find industrial partners and funding for their research projects matching R&D programs of more than 500 leading Life Sciences companies and foundations.